Month: December 2019

Former Watford manager ‘didn’t see Hector Bellerin at full-back’, reveals Troy Deeney

first_img Arsenal full-back Hector Bellerin challenges Bayern Munich star Douglas Costa 1 Watford striker Troy Deeney has revealed former Hornets manager Giuseppe Sannino ‘didn’t see’ Arsenal star Hector Bellerin as a full-back during his short spell at the club.The 20-year-old Spaniard has made significant strides since making his Gunners debut last year and is now considered as the club’s first-choice right-back.Bellerin spent a short time on loan at the Hornets in 2014 but was restricted to just eight appearances before he was recalled by Arsene Wenger.The defender soon emerged as one of the club’s brightest talents, with his performance in Tuesday’s surprise Champions League win over Bayern Munich prompting widespread praise from jubilant Arsenal fans.Deeney was also impressed with his showing – which at one point saw Bellerin outsprint Brazilian speedster Douglas Costa on the wing – with the striker hailing the development of his former team-mate at the Emirates.“He’s a good kid and it didn’t really work out too well for him here,” said Deeney.“That shows you about football, doesn’t it? Your career is defined by the opinions of individuals about your game.“[Former Watford manager] Giuseppe [Sannino] didn’t really see him at full-back but I’m sure he was playing Champions League football later that season.“Hector’s keeping Debuchy out of the side, so he must be doing plenty right.”last_img read more

Defensive target set to snub Manchester United to sign new Marseille contract

first_img French full-back Benjamin Mendy Benjamin Mendy is ready to snub interest from Manchester United and sign a new deal at Marseille.The left-back is a long-term target for United and it has been suggested that Louis van Gaal is ready to reignite the club’s interest in him this month.United scouts were reportedly in attendance when Mendy, 21, faced Rennes last month and the Old Trafford side were suitably impressed.But they will have to look elsewhere for defensive reinforcements with L’Equipe claiming that he is set to sign a new deal in the south of France.Mendy’s current contract expires next year, when he could leave Marseille for nothing, but the report says he is on the verge of extending until 2019. 1last_img

Leicester City open contract talks with star man

first_img1 Jamie Vardy Leicester are in talks with Jamie Vardy over a new contract.The striker’s current contract expires in 2018 but the Foxes are already prepared to reward the England star with a new deal which will tie him to the King Power Stadium until 2019. No deal is imminent but talks are progressing well with the 29-year-old striker, who has scored 16 goals this term, ahead of Tuesday’s visit of Liverpool. Vardy set a new Premier League record when he netted in 11 straight games before Christmas and has helped the Foxes to the top of the standings.The 29-year-old signed his last contract in 2014 but – after boss Claudio Ranieri insisted earlier this season they would wait until the end of the campaign to extend the forward’s deal – Leicester have now moved to end speculation on his future.Chelsea, Manchester United and Manchester City have all been credited with an interest although Press Association Sport understands City are not keen on the forward, despite admiring his achievements this season.Vardy joined City from Fleetwood for £1m in 2012 and has since broken into the England squad, earning four caps, and is set to be included in Roy Hodgson’s squad for Euro 2016 this summer. He has scored 42 goals in 131 appearances for the Foxes.last_img read more

Orange County bishop faces contempt count

first_imgBy Gillian Flaccus THE ASSOCIATED PRESS A judge in Santa Ana began criminal contempt of court proceedings Tuesday against the bishop of Orange County in an unusual hearing that marks the first time a U.S. bishop could face jail time in the church sex abuse scandal. Bishop Tod D. Brown waived his arraignment for allegedly violating a court order when he sent a church official out of the country before he could complete his testimony in a lawsuit. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREChargers go winless in AFC West with season-ending loss in Kansas CityHe could face punishments from a reprimand to jail time. Brown, who appeared with his attorney, waived his arraignment before Judge Gail Andler. Plaintiffs’ attorneys allege that Brown sent Msgr. John Urell out of the country for medical treatment before he could complete a deposition in the case. Urell was responsible for handling sexual abuse allegations against the diocese. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Asian cars keep lead on reliability

first_imgHe added that Toyota believes it’s fair not to give the automaker automatic recommendations. “Frankly, we think that as we redouble our efforts around quality they may afford us that exception again in the future,” he said. Consumer Reports’ Champion said Ford Motor Co.’s reliability is steadily and consistently improving. Forty-one of 44 Ford, Lincoln and Mercury models – or 93percent – scored average or better in predicted reliability, compared with 67percent of Chrysler LLC’s models and 49percent of General Motors Corp.’s models. The Lincoln Mark LT, a luxury pickup, was the only Ford vehicle on Consumer Reports’ list of the 44 least-reliable vehicles. GM had 13 models on that list, while Chrysler had six and Toyota had one. European brands including Jaguar and Mercedes-Benz have had dismal ratings in the past few years, and 17 of the models on Consumer Reports’ least-reliable list are from Europe, the magazine said. But European makers scored better this year. Audi’s A3, A4 and A6 sedans and BMW’s 3, 5 and 7 Series sedans all were average or better, while the Volvo S60 was rated above average after failing to get even an average rating two years ago. Consumer Reports’ reliability issue is scheduled to hit newsstands Nov.6. Consumer Reports is published by the nonprofit Consumers Union, which is based in Yonkers, N.Y.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! DETROIT – Asian brands continue to trounce their domestic rivals in Consumer Reports’ annual survey of vehicle reliability, but Toyota’s scores are falling while Ford is making its most reliable vehicles in years, the nonprofit group said Tuesday. Honda Motor Co. and its luxury Acura nameplate topped this year’s list, which predicts the reliability of 2008 model year vehicles based on past performance. Hummer and Land Rover were the least reliable. The top-rated domestic brand was Buick, which was 10th. The ratings, which are based on surveys of approximately 1million online and print subscribers to Consumer Reports magazine, are closely watched by automakers because of their influence on car buyers. This year’s survey was conducted in the spring and covered 1.3million vehicles from the 1998 to 2007 model years. Making it into the top 10 were Toyota Motor Corp.’s Lexus, Scion and Toyota brands, and Toyota had 17 vehicles on Consumer Reports’ list of the 39 most reliable models, far more than any other automaker. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.But Consumer Reports said the storied brand “is showing cracks in its armor” and no longer will receive automatic recommendations from the magazine when it releases new or redesigned vehicles. Consumer Reports used to recommend Toyota without any reliability data based on past performance. Consumer Reports said buyers had problems with the automatic transmission in the V-6 version of the Toyota Camry sedan, the four-wheel-drive system in the V-8 version of the Toyota Tundra pickup and the accessories and audio system in the all-wheel-drive Lexus GS sedan. “We believe Toyota is aware of its issues and is trying to fix problems quickly,” David Champion, the senior director of Consumer Reports’ Auto Test Center, said in a statement. Toyota spokesman Xavier Dominicis said the company is encouraged that its vehicles ranked highly. “The data supports the idea that our vehicles remain well thought of and reliable,” Dominicis said. last_img read more

2 endorsements for El Segundo

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.Reeves, a 20-year El Segundo resident with a long record of participation in PTAs and school site councils, said she would get more comment from the public on what they might want in a future bond measure. She said surveys she has included in campaign literature show support to improve the football field and auditorium, but not to build an aquatic center. Reeves also advocates more emphasis on music and the arts in school and more partnerships with Fortune 500 companies in the area. Wilkin, who has been active on PTAs, school site councils and the El Segundo Education Foundation, would concentrate on reducing the achievement gap that exists for low-income and minority students. She also wants the district to prepare now for future teacher retirements and possible enrollment declines. Wilkin views a future bond measure as a “last resort.” Instead, she favors cooperative efforts with the city and corporations to make needed repairs and improvements. Our endorsement goes to Reeves and Wilkin, each of whom has a strong record of community involvement. They seem well prepared to build on the school district’s solid base of success. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! El Segundo voters on Nov. 6 will elect two new school board members to take the place of two retiring incumbents. Fortunately, the three candidates seeking those positions score highly on ideas and experience. Despite the defeat of a school facilities bond measure last year, the district continues to progress academically. The district’s schools in 2006 scored above the 800-point performance target set by the state for the Academic Performance Index. The school board candidates are Aleta Pottenger, a substitute teacher in the district; Tammy Tagami Reeves, a consultant to credit unions; and Lisa Wilkin, executive director of the Child Development Consortium of Los Angeles, a nonprofit group. All the candidates aim to keep the school district moving in a positive direction. If the district opts to ask voters again to fund renovations to athletic fields, the high school auditorium and an aquatic center, Pottenger favors a “subdivided” ballot measure to give voters the means to choose which projects they believe are most vital. She would also like the district to adopt parenting programs and consider offering some classes that are separated by gender. last_img read more

Fewer jobless signups bode well for workers

first_imgFewer people signed up for jobless benefits last week, an encouraging sign that most companies aren’t resorting to large-scale layoffs as the country copes with mounting problems in the housing and credit markets. The Labor Department reported Wednesday that new applications filed for unemployment insurance dropped by a seasonally adjusted 11,000 to 330,000 for the week ending Nov. 17. It was the lowest level since the beginning of November. The 330,000 level of claims was in line with economists’ forecasts. A year ago, new claims for unemployment insurance stood at 322,000. The four-week moving average of claims, which smooths out week-to- week volatility, dipped last week to 329,750, a decrease of 750 from the previous week. It marked the lowest level since late October. A year ago, the four-week average of claims was 319,500. So far, decent job creation and wage growth have helped to offset some of the negative forces hitting some people, problems ranging from weaker home values to hard-to-get credit. The national civilian unemployment rate – now at 4.7percent of the labor force – is considered low by historical standards. The jobless rate is expected to slowly climb in the coming months as the economy loses steam.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREPettersson scores another winner, Canucks beat Kings“We continue to believe that most statistical and anecdotal evidence continue to point to a relatively healthy labor market,” said Omair Sharif, an economist at RBS Greenwich Capital. In other economic news, a gauge of future business activity suggested the economy’s growth in the months ahead could slow even more than anticipated. The Conference Board reported that its index of leading indicators fell 0.5 percent in October, after edging up 0.1 percent in September. The layoffs report also showed that the number of people continuing to collect unemployment benefits, however, rose by 7,000 to 2.57 million for the week ending Nov.10, the most recent period for which that information is available. A year ago, continuing claims stood at 2.43 million. On Wall Street, the layoffs failed to ease investors’ anxieties about fallout from the housing collapse. The Dow Jones industrial average plunged 211.10 points to close at 12,799.04. The state of the nation’s employment climate is a crucial factor in determining whether the economy will, in fact, weather the stresses from the housing slump and credit crunch. last_img read more

UNIONIST MEP PROMISES TO BACK DONEGAL ANTI-VRT CAMPAIGN

first_imgANTI-VRT campaigners from Co Donegal have won the backing of a leading Unionist politician.John Doherty, the Donegal branch chairman of the Irish Drivers Association, said his delegation’s meeting with Democratic Unionist Party MEP Diane Dodds was very constructive.“We got a warm welcome and were well received by Mrs Dodds,” Mr Doherty told donegaldaily.com. “The association have brought it to the attention of Ms Dodds how the Irish Government are discriminating against other member states by imposing a levy as high as 36% on vehicles imported into the south.“What the Irish Government are trying to do is make it more expensive for a citizen from the south to import a vehicle from NI which is in clear contravention of the free movement of goods under article 39 of the treaty of Rome.“Ms Dodds expressed shock at this even though the association have a petition lodged in Brussels with the commission on taxation stated that it is now time to raise the matter in Brussels with the competition authorities.”Mr Doherty said Ms Dodds promised to raise the matter with the North’s Finance Minister Sammy Wilson. “This may be the first time that another member state attacks the Irish Government on the free movement of goods which could be very good news for us as Europeans,” added Mr Doherty.LEAVE YOUR COMMENT BELOW© 2011 donegaldaily.com, all Rights ReservedThe copying, republication or redistribution of donegaldaily.com Content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited by law.Follow us on www.twitter.com/donegaldaily Follow us on www.facebook.com/donegaldailyUNIONIST MEP PROMISES TO BACK DONEGAL ANTI-VRT CAMPAIGN was last modified: February 21st, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Diane Dodds MEPdonegalDUPIrish Drivers AssociationJohn DohertySammy Wilsonlast_img read more

RAMONA ‘I’M OUT’ NICHOLAS SAYS NO AGAIN ON DRAGON’S DEN – THIS TIME TO DOG FOOD!

first_imgRamona Nicholas felt ill during Dragon’s Den pitchNEW Dragon’s Den judge Ramona Nicholas said ‘I’m Out’ on the latest episode of the series on Sunday night.And this time she was more ‘out’ than ever before.The pharmacy chain director admitted she felt like throwing up – during a pitch for an investment for dog food. “I not a big fan of dogs, especially big dogs,” she said before declaring how queasy she felt at the very thought of investing in a new range of high end canine food.“I’m feeling really really nauseous right now.”She apologised to Dr Conor Brady, dog food expert, declaring: “I can’t go anywhere with this…so I’m out.”  RAMONA ‘I’M OUT’ NICHOLAS SAYS NO AGAIN ON DRAGON’S DEN – THIS TIME TO DOG FOOD! was last modified: March 17th, 2013 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:RAMONA ‘I’M OUT’ NICHOLAS SAYS NO AGAIN ON DRAGON’S DEN – THIS TIME TO DOG FOOD!last_img read more

DONEGAL ULSTER BANK STAFF TO LOSE JOBS AS FEARS GROW BANK MAY QUIT REPUBLIC

first_imgSTAFF at the Ulster Bank in Donegal will be among 1,800 to lose their jobs with insiders saying they fear it’s just one step away from pulling out of the Republic altogether.The bank – owned by Royal Bank of Scotland – owes billions of euro and is mostly owned by British taxpayers.Ulster Bank and RBS lost a fortune during the boom. “There won’t be an Ulster Bank in another year,” said one insider.“Many staff believe it will just pull out of Ireland altogether and cease to exist.”Responding to the announcement of the 1800 job losses at Ulster Bank Sinn Féin Finance spokesperson Pearse Doherty called on the government to work closely with the executive in the North to ensure that those made redundant return to the workforce as soon as possible.Deputy Doherty said: “This is a devastating blow to workers. Ulster Bank has 214 branches across the island, 79 in the north and 135 in the south. It is unclear how many of these branches will face closures. “What is clear to anyone listening to the Anglo tapes is the cavalier attitude and callous disregard that senior bankers have to the public and the funds under their control. The actions of these senior bankers have led to massive job losses and branch closures.“It is clear that the government and the executive in the North must work together to minimise job losses and branch closures and to ensure that those made redundant return to the workforce as soon as possible. An All-Ireland approach to banking and regulation is a necessity.“Lastly there is a need for the senior managers in these banks that have been bailed out by either the British or Irish government to be fully held to account for the mess they have created.” DONEGAL ULSTER BANK STAFF TO LOSE JOBS AS FEARS GROW BANK MAY QUIT REPUBLIC was last modified: July 2nd, 2013 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:DONEGAL ULSTER BANK STAFF TO LOSE JOBS AS FEARS GROW BANK MAY QUIT REPUBLIClast_img read more